Sunday, April 27, 2008

Movies weekend

Initially I planned to go to Eindhoven this weekend, but I was too lazy to go there (or to wake up early on Saturday..:-P) . So I decided to go to the cinema, there are several movies that I really want to see for quite some time. Recently I am so crazy to go to independent cinemas, small cinemas where they play independent movies. We have seven Filmkunstkinos (what they call them here) in Duesseldorf and I am really happy for that (I have visited four of them already so far). First of all because they usually have a lot of interesting movies from all over the world not only Hollywood or German movies (though everything is dubbed in German most of the times, or subtitled in German but the original language is Chinese :-P). Second reason is because the cinema is small, mostly there are not so many people (for example today I only watched the movie with two other people). It gives the feeling of 'your own cinema' :-P. Third reason is because the ticket is cheaper than the normal cinema's and with the member card, I can get more than 20% discount from the normal price (so in total it's 50% cheaper than the ticket for normal cinema).

On Saturday I watched Into the Wild, a movie that was recommended by some of my friends. I was so curious about it, though I have read a lot about it before. I know the whole story, I have read the pros and cons, but watching the movie, it still gave me a strong impression. Somehow I can understand him and I am happy that he was able to realize what he wanted in the end (though it was a tragic end).
"Happiness only real when shared" (Christopher McCandless, Into the Wild).

Today I watched My Blueberry Nights, a debut film of Norah Jones and the first feature length English-language film of Wong Kar Wai. Norah did not make a very special appearance on it, but the movie was okay. At least it's not the usual Hollywood love story :-P The music (as you expect) is nice and I like the original idea of the movie.
"There's nothing wrong with the Blueberry Pie, just people make other choices. You can't blame the Blueberry Pie, it's just... no one wants it" (Jeremy, My Blueberry Nights).
"It took me nearly a year to get here. It wasn't so hard to cross that street after all, it all depends on who's waiting for you on the other side" (Elizabeth, My Blueberry Nights).

I was tempted to go for a second round today, still want to watch Kite Runner (I know it's not a new movie anymore but I missed it when it's played in normal cinemas). But I decided to enjoy the very good weather outside instead (summer mode on..it's about 20C today). I walked home from Oberkassel (the area on the other side of Rhine river, my first time there and I really like the area..) and passed through the Hofgarten, watching people having their picnics or just laying down on the grass. Hofgarten is so beautiful today.. I could not resist the temptation to sit and read my book there. I decided to continue my walk home when I felt hungry and realized that I needed something to eat..:-P

2 comments:

1minutefilmreview said...

Nice review. We loved Blueberry Nights as well and are rabid Wong Kar Wai's fans. What a wonderful blueberry kiss!

Vidya said...

Duh, kangen juga nonton di kino :-)
Jadi inget pertama kita nonton di kino bareng anak2 sekelas, pulangnya jalan dah ga ada Strassenbahn :-)