Friday, April 18, 2008

The most scenic train rides..

It has been quite a while since I had the idea to post this on my blog. Mostly because I just realized that I love traveling by train and I did several train rides which are considered to have the most beautiful sceneries in Europe (or even the world). I will put two lists here, the train trips that I have experienced so far and the train trips which are still on my wish list.

My fave train rides:
1. Oslo to Bergen (including Myrdal to Flåm) - Norway
We joined the infamous Norway in a nutshell tour which was worth it. The train stops very close to a waterfall and they even made a special attraction there. The views are so amazing. Just imagine that in several stops, a lot of passengers go out from the train to take some pictures and then return back in hurry before the train continues its journey :-P

2. Inverness to Kyle of Lochalsh - Scotland, UK
On our way from Inverness to Isle of Skye. Previously I planned to take the Jacobite Steam Train, which is famous because it was used for Harry Potter's Hogwarts Express train scenes for the movie. But its route did not fit our plan, we decided to take another scenic train trip from Inverness. We had snow during the trip and it made the view so beautiful. I have a book on my lap but decided to put it off, I did not want to miss a single thing! :-P

3. Mainz to Koblenz - Germany
This train ride along Rhine river is my fave train ride in Germany. You can see the Rhine valley with a lot of castles ..really like this area...

4. Seville to Granada - Spain
I did not expect that I would have the scenic view during my train ride, but it's so beautiful especially when we almost reached Granada with Sierra Nevada view.

5. Rome to Genoa - Italy
I love Mediterannean sea and this train ride gives a glimpse of Mediterranean sea a long the trip....

6. Somewhere between Marseille and Nice - France
I forgot which part is really the beautiful one. I just remember that we have a great view of Mediterranean..

My wish list:
1. Trans Siberian from Moscow to Beijing
2. Glacier Express - Switzerland
3. Bernina Express - Switzerland
4. Jungfraubahn- Switzerland

No comments: